For nearly four decades, the Massachusetts Down Syndrome Congress has fought to ensure that all individuals in Massachusetts with Down syndrome are valued, included, and given every opportunity to pursue fulfilling lives.
Today, MDSC has 5,000 members, a professional Board of Directors, a dynamic Management Team, and a vision to ensure that every person with Down syndrome has the opportunity to reach his or her full potential.
Our broad array of programs, our four Centers of Excellence and our comprehensive Resource Library, serve people with Down syndrome throughout their lifespans; and families throughout the state and beyond, putting MDSC on the cutting edge of Down syndrome advocacy nationwide.
To ensure individuals with Down syndrome in Massachusetts are valued, included, and given the opportunities to pursue fulfilling lives by providing information, networking opportunities, and advocacy for people with Down syndrome and their families, educators, health care professionals, and the community-at-large
The MDSC wants to be recognized by people with Down syndrome and their families, educators, health care professionals, and the community-at-large as the preeminent organization in Massachusetts for information, networking, and advocacy for and about Down syndrome.
- To engage, educate, and involve the public in advancing the possibilities and potential of all people with Down syndrome throughout their lifetime.
- To continue to create and foster opportunities for meaningful employment and meaningful societal engagement for adults with Down syndrome in the community.
- To enable networking, social/friendship opportunities and partnerships, in person and virtually, to support all people with Down syndrome and their families.
- To advocate that all individuals with Down syndrome have high quality education, which includes transition planning and life-long learning.
- To advocate for improved systemic change and policy in issues such as community inclusion, higher education, and employment for adults with Down syndrome.
- To develop and disseminate best practices through MDSC’s Centers of Excellence for the benefit of the broader Down syndrome community.
- To advocate for all individuals with Down syndrome to have access to high quality medical and behavioral services and research.
- To empower all people with Down syndrome to have the opportunity to become effective self-advocates.
- To ensure that expectant and new families receive accurate and up-to-date information and desired supports.
- To continue to provide a clearinghouse of information and resources related to Down syndrome and other intellectual and developmental disabilities.