MDSC’s nationally recognized Parents First Call program was established in 1985 by our founding Board of Directors. Since that time, the Parents First Call program has served over 2,000 new and expectant families and through replication in others states, hundreds more.
The Parents First Call program is designed to support new and expectant parents after receiving screening or diagnostic test results indicating the diagnosis (or likelihood) of Down syndrome. The Program provides accurate, up-to-date information and resources, as well as the opportunity to connect with a trained parent mentor. All resources and support are free and all conversations are confidential.
The MDSC National Training Center for Parents First Call was launched in 2011 to offer support and training for local and state Down syndrome organizations to replicate and implement this Parents First Call program in their local area.
MDSC provides a comprehensive personalized training to organization leaders and parent volunteers throughout the United States. The interactive presentation is a train-the-trainer model so that your group can then offer future trainings for volunteers. By implementing or enhancing your support of new and expectant parents, and offering opportunities for engagement, your organization will experience vibrant growth.
- Strengthens credibility with your local medical community
- Ensures consistent professional standards for volunteers
- Allows different opportunities for volunteer parents where they will be the best fit
- Provides specialized prenatal parent support training
- Helpful in accessing grants for sustainability
- Access to all training slides and materials so that local group can provide future trainings for their volunteers
We provide assistance to Down syndrome organizations through email, phone support, virtual interactive presentations and live presentations. Please contact us to discuss what would be most helpful to your group at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our virtual and live Parents First Call training presentations offer key components to ensure successful implementation of a professional Parents First Call program incorporating best practices for supporting new and expectant families. Our trainings incorporate presentation of best practice guidelines for the program(s), sharing of stories, reflective learning, role playing/practice scenarios and more.
We currently offer four training modules but are also open to tailor a module to best meet the needs of your group.
U.S. Replication Trainings
To date, the MDSC National Training Center for Parents First Call has provided replication training at the following sites:
- 2021 – Down Syndrome Awareness Group of Baton Rouge (LA)
- 2021 – Down Syndrome Association of Minnesota (MN)
- 2021 – Down Syndrome Association of Pittsburgh (PA)
- 2020 – Down Syndrome Association of Silicon Valley (CA)
- 2019 – Maine Down Syndrome Network (ME)
- 2019 – Triangle Down Syndrome Network (NC)
- 2018 – Down Syndrome Association of Connecticut (CT)
- 2018 – Down Syndrome Guild of Greater Dallas (TX)
- 2018 – Down Syndrome Parent Group of Western New York (NY)
- 2018 – Club 21 (CA)
- 2017 – Flower City Down Syndrome Network (NY)
- 2016 – Down Syndrome Association of Wisconsin (WI)
- 2015 – Down Syndrome Association of Delaware (DE)
- 2015 – Down Syndrome Association of Wisconsin – Fox Cities (WI)
- 2015 – Designer Genes (ND)
- 2015 – Triangle Down Syndrome Network (NC)
- 2015 – Piedmont Down Syndrome Support Network (NC)
- 2014 – Down Syndrome Partnership of North Texas (TX)
- 2014 – Down Syndrome Association of Hampton Roads (VA)
- 2013 – Club 21 (CA)
- 2013 – Northern New England Down Syndrome Congress (NH)
- 2013 – Celebrate Down Syndrome (PA)
- 2012 – Champlain Valley Down Syndrome Group (VT)
- 2012 – Connecticut Down Syndrome Congress (CT)
- 2012 – Down Syndrome Association of Greater Charlotte (NC)
- 2012 – Down Syndrome Association of Greater New Orleans (LA)
- 2011 – Designer Genes/Project Carson (ND)x
- 2011 – Families Exploring Down Syndrome (MI)
Please contact us to discuss your training needs and to receive training package quotes at email@example.com.